Lunette Cup Review: Europe’s Favorite Menstrual Cup
Lunette Cups are currently very popular in Europe and the rest of the world. You will definitely come across the name when researching best menstrual cups. Below we will thoroughly go through a Lunette menstrual cup review, and help you figure out which Lunette cup size you need!
We personally love that the Lunette brand are environmentally conscious, even with their packaging, which we will go more in depth with later in this review. You might be wondering what size Lunette cup should I get, and we will also check out the differences between the two Lunette cup sizes!
The cup itself follows a traditional bell shape, and when compared to other cups, it is stouter and more rounded with some very clever design elements. Keep reading as we look at the facts of the cup, our Lunette cup review, and where to buy Lunette cups!
Did you know...?
Lunette cups are made in Finland and designed by Heli Kurjanen who couldn’t find the right menstrual cup so she decided to design one herself. Girlboss!!
We love that Lunette is led by a mostly female team, which makes sense for a mostly female product!
- Made in Finland
- Is made of soft medical-grade silicone that is FDA approved
- All of the packaging it compostable - the 'plastic' window in the box is made of plant cellulose.
- Comes in 2 sizes. See below for the dimensions
- Has 2 measuring lines which are very useful
- The stem is flat and easy to grip, with 3 grip rings at the bottom of the cup
- Has 4 suction holes just under the rim
- Currently comes in Clear, Orange, Violet, Yellow and Blue
What Size Lunette Cup Should I Get?
The Lunette menstrual cup comes in two sizes. Model 1 and Model 2.
Model 1 is for light to normal flow and is made of slightly softer silicone than Model 2.
•The diameter is 41 mm (1.6 inches) by 47 mm (1.9 inches).
•The stem measures 25 mm (1 inch).
•The volume of the cup is 25 ml (0.85 fl oz).
•Measuring lines: 5ml (0.17 oz) and 13.5ml (0.46 oz).
Model 2 is for normal to heavy flow and is made of slightly firmer silicone than Model 1.
•The diameter is 46 mm (1.8 inches) by 52 mm (2 inches).
•The stem measures 20 mm (0.8 inches).
•The volume of the cup is 30 ml (1.0 fl oz).
•Measuring lines: 7.5ml (0.25 oz) and 15ml (0.5 oz)
Lunette Cup Review; What We Think!
- The Lunette cups are very well designed and look really good, kinda like that cool, simplistic Scandinavian design that we’ve come to know and love. Now, one of the biggest reasons we love using reusable menstrual cups is because it’s eco-friendly, and we hate when the cups come wrapped in plastic. It defeats the purpose!! So we love that the Lunette comes in a cute, simple cardboard box that can be recycled.
- Even the 'plastic' window in the box is compostable, as it is made out of plant cellulose. This is an awesome initiative that we personally really love!
- The Lunette cups have matching satin-y pouches that are color coordinated, depending on the cup color you choose. It seems to be a high quality and looks very luxurious with no loose threading.
- The cup also comes with a little handy menstrual cup guide with instructions, images etc.
- The cups itself are very well made. The clear is frosted, as not completely see-through, and the colored cups are very poppy (our fave is the purple/violet!).
- The texture of the cups are quite velvety and soft, and the design is smooth with the subtle measuring lines. We especially love that the Lunette logo and the “Made in Finland” were printed on the outside so that no blood residue gets trapped when cleaning.
- The measuring lines are a nice touch, as not all menstrual cups have this feature. Model 1 has lines to 5ml and 13.5ml while Model 2 shows 7.5ml and 15ml. It’s very handy if you need to record your blood flow for whatever reason, but also very cool to work out how much you bleed on certain days. Something you can’t properly do with tampons!
- We also like that the air holes are just under the rim of the cup. This means the capacity of the cup isn’t too greatly compromised, as in actuality, the capacity is up to the air hole, rather than the rim of the cup.
The Stem of the Lunette Cups
- The stem of the cup is solid, not hollow. This makes it easier to clean as nothing gets trapped. It’s also very sturdy so it won’t break, and makes it easier when retrieving and removing the cup. The stem is flat, and we also love that the stem has grip lines so that your fingers don’t slip off too much. The length of the stem is decent to help with removal but if need be, you can trim it to size.
Comparison to Other Menstrual Cups
- Compared to the Diva Cup, the Lunette is slightly softer and feels more flexible. It is also shorter or more squat shaped, and not as long.
- Definitely feels more high-end than the cheaper no-name brands that are available on the internet.
Lunette also has great customer service, and are very prompt to reply to any questions or queries. We like this about companies, and it really makes a difference.
We also love their company line of being ‘committed to leaving the earth better than we found it’.
Lunette also have their own branded cleanser and wetwipes.
The liquid cleanser is organic, vegan, and paraben-free which keeps in line with Lunette’s company policy of creating healthy, safe, and sustainable products.
The wet wipes are handy for travel or camping days, when you might not have easy access to water for cleaning the cup. These are biodegradable and compostable!
The Bottom Line
Lunette cups are very popular in Europe and for good reason. The Finnish design has been well thought out; and while simplistic, very effective. Similar to an IKEA chair!
The colors that are provided are very cool, and will appeal to many women (even though no-one else will see it, it’s nice to have something cute!). Lunette occasionally offer limited edition colors too, and we can see how this might convince women to invest in their 2nd Lunette cup (I’m currently even tempted by that Hot Pink version!).
Here at Menstrual Cupaholic, we are especially pleased with how environmentally conscious this company and their brand is; with compostable wipes, and plant based packaging!
While slightly pricier than their competitors, we can see that the quality of the packaging, the pouch, and of course, the cup, is well worth it, as detailed above in our Lunette cup review! When choosing a product that is so intimate, you definitely want the best, and that’s why Lunette comes out on top in so many comparison tables.